When feeling blue is more than just a 'bad day'
Bad moods, thought storms, down in the dumps. They all point to the same thing - not feeling great.
When we're in this state of mind, have you noticed that EVERYTHING seems to look annoying/frustrating/generally rubbish?
At this point, I could say something along the lines of the fact that thoughts do change moment to moment, so if you don't like how you feel, it's OK because another one will be along in just a moment.
But what if it really seems like one bad mood thought is being replaced by another bad mood thought, and another and another? What then?
Well, if that seems true to you, there is something you can do.
Just for a moment think of bad moods as rumble strips on a busy strip of road - it's a bit of a warning to let you know you're not paying attention to what's actually going on. In other words, it's a wake-up call to bring you back to reality.
Well, it's the same with bad moods - it's an intelligent feedback system letting you know you're not seeing things straight. It's alerting you to the fact that you're wearing 'bad mood' goggles at this particular moment in time, and so whatever and wherever you shine your spotlight it's likely to look, feel, and sound annoying, frustrating, pointless, hopeless (you get the picture!).
Want to learn probably the most helpful question you can ask yourself when you want to get off the rumble strip and back on the clear open road again?
What am I believing in order to say/think something like that?
You'll be amazed at what comes back.
It's a way of helping yourself out, through compassionately calling yourself out.
Try it out with something that's been preoccupying your mind these last few days. My guess is that in order for you to have been thinking/saying that, you would have to be believing one or more of the following is true:
- You believe the future already exists (it doesn't, and that's true for everyone).
- You believe feelings are directly caused by people, things, and circumstances (they are not, feelings come from thought and that's true for everyone).
- You believe you are not resilient (my goodness, you are and so is everyone you know, in fact, it's an innate resource of ALL humans).
- You believe the past still exists (it does not, but for the thoughts, you are having about the past).
- You believe you can read people's minds (you can't, and would you really want to? Talk about overwhelm!).
It's worth noting that everyone on this planet gets fooled by this deception. Everyone. It's a very human thing to do.
As humans, we do so very well in reality, and pretty terribly in the world of illusion, so bad moods are really just a 'helpful' side effect of superstitious thinking!
My best wishes,
Ready to start working together? Here are 3 ways I can help you...
1. Take The Home Study Course: Reignite Your Resilience
2. The Group Coaching & Mentoring Programme: The Effortless Path To Success (next one starts 12th Feb 2019)
3. Private One To One Coaching: the first one is complimentary so you can get an actual experience of what it would be like for you and me to work together.